smv3.ch is Stephan Müller Version 3
Senior expert in biopharmaceutical mass spectrometry
Former head of central Mass Spectroscopy facility, then of section for project analytics (GC, LC, MS, NMR) in Roche’s innovation center in Basel (until 2016). 26 years of experience in pioneering MS and LC/MS applications for drug discovery. Founder of smv3.ch GmbH aimed at facilitating access of discovery scientists to external analytical resources and expertise.
Lecturer at the school of pharmacy at the University of Basel, on analytical technologies and applications in pharma research. See my lecture subsite.
Creative, artistic, language and technical talents and supportive of teaching and promoting natural sciences.
Pioneer work of our team at Roche
Biomarker experience ..
- Introduction of biophysical MS methods at Roche (with A.Topp)
- Establishment of in-house metabolic biomarker facility to supply target engagement data for discovery biology (with V. Stierlin, I. Ruf, M. Wittig, A. Stämpfli, C. Tournoux, A.Topp, B.Bürgi)
- Introduction of LC/MS compound quality control hand-in-hand with narrow bore NMR and complete informatics workflow including structure display and structure based automatic ESI-MS and UV signal prediction (with C.Albrecht)
- Introduction of MS readouts for bioassays at Roche Basel – automation of a LC/MS based drug-drug interaction assay from Roche Nutley, assays for enzyme inhibitors for cerebrosides, steroids, lipids, (with I. Ruf) multienzyme profiling readout for the optimization of an ultraselective steroid synthesis inhibitor (with M. Wittig)
- Establishment of rapid metabolite identification service for discovery projects (I. Ruf)
- Introduction of LC/MS rodent DMPK analysis for infectious disease discovery, including cassette dosing experiments
- Development of stable isotope tracer methods e.g. for the determination or characterization of cholesterol or glucose biosynthesis (with V. Stierlin, C. Albrecht, M. Wittig)
- IT: Development and introduction of several LIMS systems, design and maintenance of department website
Plasma, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF), aqueous humor, vitreous humor (ophtalmology), brain, liver, muscle, kidney tissue, cell cultures and stem cells derived cells (neurons)
Dopamin and metabolites (catecholamines), histamin and metabolites, trace amines, GABA and metabolites, sphingolipids and cerebrosides, neurosteroids related to stress, amino acids, nucleosides and nucleotides
Cardiovascular and metabolic diseases
Fatty acids, neutral sterols, steroids (extensive), carnitine and acylcarnitines, phosphatidyl- and lysophosphatidyl cholines and -acids, S1P, glucose and gluconeogenesis intermediates including stable isotope tracer studies, cholesterol biosynthesis intermediates including stable isotope tracer studies, eicosanoids.
Stable isotope study on enantioselective PK of Tocopherol diastereomers, hydroxy-nonenal as oxidative stress biomarker
Pseudomonas specific metabolites (pyocyanins and analogs), nucleosides and nucleotides
Amino acids and metabolites